Ham and Cheese Potato Croquettes
These great-tasting croquettes are crispy on the outside and full of warm cheesy mashed potato mixed with ham on the inside – simple and delicious!
1.Heat the oven to 200°C, 180°C, Fan, Gas Mark 6.
2. Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Season well with salt and pepper, then add the nutmeg.
3. Slowly whisk in the milk on a medium heat. Add the bay leaf, if used and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
4. Mix in the cheese, potato and ham and stir well. Leave for five minutes to infuse.
5. Remove the bay leaf and spread the mixture out into an even rectangle on a cling film lined oven tray.
6. Score into 16 rectangles. Take each rectangle, roll into a short, fat sausage and roll through the breadcrumbs. Repeat until finished.
7. Remove the cling film from the baking tray, spray the croquettes with a little cooking oil and cook for 8-10 minutes until warmed through. Don’t cook too long or they will start to spread and collapse.
8. Serve warm with spicy tomato salsa.